Saturday, July 5, 2008

Independence Day



Well, July 4th has come and gone for me and the interns in Bratislava.

We began our celebration by reading the Declaration of Independence (please read it-- honestly, what was King George thinking?) then enjoying a BBQ of hamburgers (and they really were ham-- no ground beef available), hotdogs, baked beans, potato salad and watermelon. I made the baked beans. I tried to fix them up as best as I could with some spices and ketchup, but without any molasses or brown sugar, they were, well still pretty Slovak-style.
After tossing our paper plates, we connected the school's LCD projector to the DVD player and watched 1776. I went to bed about half-way through, but I am definitely interested in seeing the whole thing at some point.
All the festivities considered, this was the most patriotic of July 4ths that I've celebrated in a while. Even sans fireworks and parades.
I'm blogging now as I wait for a phone call from Ben, who has probably arrived at the airport in Vienna by now. After he gets his bags, he'll buy a bus ticket from the Vienna airport to the Bratislava airport (1hr drive), where we will pick him up-- he should be back here by lunch time today! I can't tell you how excited I am to see him. He'll be back here for about a week before he heads to China. We'll update you more on his adventures in Africa this past week in the coming days...

4 comments:

C.B. said...

Hi Ariel and Ben...
I've been keeping up with you on this Blog... even created one of my own..guess you are not accessing email while globe trotting. Kenya and China... 2 of my favorites... get those cameras out!!!

C.B.

C.B. said...

A and B...
Were you surprised to hear from me? I was surprised I figured it out... who knew I already had a Google account... it is a wonderful world... thanks for keeping all of us up todate... makes us feel like you are just down the street... I'll see your Mom and Dad tomorrow.... they are helping me out with some new furniture I bought yesturday... that's all I need, huh?? More stuff!!!
Love to you both..well, 2.5 of you.....
CB

mamasflyin said...

I should read the Declaration of Independence again - I don't think I've read it since you were in school or worse yet, since I was in school! When I think of baked beans I have to think of Grandma Brown's who were the best. But, how can you go wrong with all that bacon and brown sugar! We should put 1776 on the list of our DVD's to watch together. Love, Mom

mamasflyin said...

Oh, I wanted to say I watch your blog site daily (several times during a day) and am elated when there is a new posting! Thank you for taking time during your busy day to share with us.

We love you - Ben & Baby -- so much.

Mom