This week the English camps are underway at BERC. There are 4 day camps offered-- in the morning, 2 sessions (one for 8-11 year-olds, one for 12-15 year-olds) focused on practicing English and playing sports. In the afternoon, the same age groups switch to a focus on English and art. I've been helping the Bryan interns with their planning for the camps-- sort of a continuation of the ESL training we worked through together last week. I feel as though I am making a valuable contribution to BERC and the Bryan students, which is nice. Ben is going to be teaching in the art class, so he's been making lesson plans and breaking up tile for making mosaics with the older group.
Ben has readjusted well to being back in Europe-- he also had a great experience in Kenya and Rwanda. I saw some great video that he took of the Care of Creation sites, driving around Kigali, and some wildlife at the nature preserve in Rwanda. When we are back in the states and y'all come to visit us (or next time we visit you), he can show you, too!
Yesterday we all went to the home of a family from a nearby church-- the wife is Slovak, the husband British. They hosted us for a delicious dinner, walked us to the nearby Austrian border (which used to be marked by a high, well-guarded wall), and began to tell us about the history of the area. The woman was a student here in Bratislava during the student protests and was an active part of the underground church as communism was falling in the '80s. Slovakia had a very peaceful transition out of communism, but boy, did she have some suspenseful stories to tell! It was an honor to hear about that period of history from someone who had lived through it, and indeed shaped it in part.
Tonight I am teaching more ESL methods, and Ben will have completed his first day of leading the English and Art camp for the middle/high school aged kids! More to come...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I think that you can put short video clips right onto your blog.
Of course, I will be looking for the full length feature film with commentatry next fall when I come to visit "Freckles".
Love you,
Pa
Ariel and Ben...
I can not tell you how wonderful it is to "live" your adventure with you via these postings. The life you are living is indeed "A God Thing" as I call it. Amazing!! Who knew??? Hope this makes it to you. Not sure I am completely in the the 21st Century with blogging, yet!
CB from S.P.
Sounds like we will have to have a movie night at our house -- I'll make the popcorn! I love you so, so much! Mom H.
Post a Comment