Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Wanting to Wait Well

Well, we are definitely ready for the baby to arrive. Ben asks him to come at least a few times a day. And he asks me to go into labor. So far neither the baby nor the mama are very obedient. Through the day my own desires and patience fluctuate and change. I feel peaceful and patient in prayer for peace and patience. Then I feel a little nudge inside and hope for my water to break. Hmm. Our impatience must be obvious, as people often say things like, "Well, its better for him to have a few more days inside." Probably true. This morning Ben and I prayed for joy in this time of anticipation (a precious life stage that we will only experience this one time!), and rest in the assurance that God's plan for this baby's life (even the day of his arrival) is truly best.
Hmm. This Saturday I cleaned the house for 12 hours, washing curtains, rugs, vacuuming window screens and the dryer exhaust, etc. It didn't feel like nesting (in that it didn't feel special or unusual), and Ben and I reasoned that we can't really take much from that, since that is sort of how cleaning happens for me. Things get bad, then I clean everything all at once as though it is a battle for life itself. I also wonder if my emotional desire to have the baby soon didn't spur me on to the cleaning. Along the reasoning of if everything is ready around us, maybe my body will get ready, too? I'm pretty sure that isn't true nesting.
We've had a hard time narrowing down name choices, but I think we have a few good ones, now. That feels nice. We'll have to see which combo seems best when the baby arrives. Until then, all is secret.
These days I mostly think (talk and blog) about the baby. As far as the rest of life, all is well with us.
Ben has been finishing up a "shop" that provides us with wonderful work and storage space for things like paint, tools, etc. We are thinking of painting our house yellow. We have to paint the shop, so we might as well paint the house at the same time?? Right now it is a pretty depressing brown. I like the idea of a yellow house with white trim and lots of red geraniums all around. Happy and European cottage-y.
Yesterday I went 3-store grocery shopping. We hadn't restocked from our summer away, and had been in great need. It feels good to have that done, too.
We are having some good times with friends, enjoying dinner together, etc.
Really, though, the big news is that the baby is coming SOON! A few weeks at the most!
Hoping to post about his arrival next time. Or at least the time after the next...

1 comment:

Naomi said...

Iknow EXACTLY where you're at mentally. I felt the same way with Sophia, and my patience ran thin towards the end, as my excitement grew. We will be praying for Baby Norquist as well as his parents:) Can't wait to get the call!